We have really big news around Guin’s Yard this summer: we are officially jewel-tone-carpet free! That’s right! All this:
is GONE. We’ll have to show you what’s here instead in installments, though, because most of the rooms aren’t very “finished” looking yet. When you replace the flooring in this many rooms (plus the family room), there’s a lot of moving STUFF from one room to another, and some of the rooms have emerged from their awkward mid-project adolescence more gracefully than others. So we’ll start with some works in progress and some finished shots of the rooms that are well on their way.
So the process.
First we chose the carpet. We used the same color in all of: the family room, stairs, upstairs hall, and all 4 bedrooms. We chose it using the guiding principal of “what will match my dogs the best?”
The final choice was “Treasure,” 2nd from top, right most column. Shown here against our living room carpet which we like very much, but was discontinued since we put it in. Otherwise we’d have just continued the same color.
We had the house measured, and the carpet ordered. While we waited for the carpet to come in, we got the first two rooms ready for install, including:
- emptying out the rooms,
- ripping out the old carpet and padding,
- removing the sliding closet doors and the doors’ track in the floor, and
- de-glossing, priming, and painting (3 coats!) the baseboard trim.
We established a pattern over the course of about a month, where we’d prep two rooms on a weekend, and the installers would come during the week. Week 1: family room and green guest room. Week 2: Master bedroom, stairs, and upstairs hall. Week 3: Yellow guest room and office bedroom. Week 4: master bedroom closet, because the piece didn’t fit in week 3. These were some mammoth work weekends, so we tucked the project into my couple of weeks of down time after my first half ironman of the season, and before I ramped back up (too much) training for the second one.
By the end of it, if neither of us ever saw another gallon of Sherwin Williams Pro Classic semi-gloss paint, it would’ve been fine with us. Unfortunately that will not be the case: we still have doors (lots of doors) and the trim around the windows to do. Those will be projects for another day. In the meantime, here’s a few pictures of the slog:
Green bedroom progression:
Green carpet removed:
Trim primed:and, sorry for the teaser, but that’s as far as I’ve got pictures of this one! Since it was the first bedroom done, it was (and is) stuffed to the gills with stuff from all the other rooms while they were underway.
Master bedroom: Before carpet was fully removed (edges cut away), white trim paint finished.
and down to the subfloor:
Hall and stairs: carpet edges cut away for painting. Note, this was a real problem when doing the hall and stairs, because we had to spend a few days like this with the carpet tacks exposed, and couldn’t close it off well from the dogs. We ended up baby gating them in another part of the house, and at bedtime, we walked them straight up the carpeted middle on tight leashes. Not fun. At least it was short lived.
And down to the sub floor for install day #2:
This room admittedly looks the least different, since the old carpet was cream colored. But it was not, I don’t think, particularly good quality carpet, and it didn’t look very good up close. It was showing serious wear patterns, and Marcy sealed the deal as a puppy when she chewed 2 or 3 holes in it. We are hoping this darker, more tan, more flecked color will do better.
The family room is probably also the room where the newly white trim is least noticeable, because there’s so much furniture along the walls. The door frames are noticeable, though, especially the glass exterior doors. White trim blends into the door much better, which I like. The trim is not substantial enough to warrant attention being called thereto.
Hopefully I’ll have pictures of some of the other rooms soon!